The Stylist 2 Day Short Course (Melbourne)
Introduction to Styling - Fashion, Food, Interior
The Stylist Short Course is a 2-day intensive for aspiring stylists to give you all the tips and insight you need to make styling your career.
Being a stylist is hard work. It’s long hours. Crazy schedules.
But being a stylist is also incredibly rewarding. It’s a career that can literally take you anywhere. From being backstage at some of the biggest fashion shows around the world. To working with fabulous photographers. And playing with amazing clothes and gorgeous props.
The Stylist Short Course takes you behind the scenes with veteran stylist Bianca Christoff in an intimate weekend workshop where you’ll get practical advice and hands-on experience to make styling your career.
About this Short Course
The Stylist Short Course is designed to introduce you to the skills, knowledge and insight you’ll need to become a stylist. This workshop is essential if you’ve ever considered becoming a stylist. You’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at just what’s involved in preparing a product for the perfect shot.
Get an insight into the main industry areas, discover the important roles that you’ll encounter as a stylist, consider what pathway is right for you and, of course, find out those tips and learnings that most stylists only learn on the job.
You’ll also get to experience exactly what it’s like to work on a product shoot – from deciphering the brief, to sourcing props, right through to getting the styled look just right. You’ll leave the two-day weekend workshop with a deeper insight into the styling industry, and a photograph of your styled look that you can use to start your portfolio.
Over Two Days You’ll Learn
An Introduction to Styling as a Career
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the industry and the different pathways you can take
- Freelancing versus agencies versus in-house stylists – the pros and cons of each
- Busting the stylist myths (it’s not all glitz and glamour)
- Who you may work with – photographers, art directors, designers, managers, fashion editors, brand directors and more
How a Stylist Works
- An overview of styling mood boards
- Working to a brief, how to break it down and figuring out your target audience
- Research and styling to trends
- Learn the step-by-step of styling a shoot (it doesn’t all happen on the day)
- Get the low-down on sourcing props for your shoot and how to get designers to lend you items
- Client budget is tiny? No problem. You’ll find out how and where to source props and items on any budget (and the tricks to make cheap items look super-expensive)
- Learn what’s involved in styling food and the tricks the pros use to make those inviting, eye-catching images out of ordinary ingredients
- Learn the essentials of styling a room for editorial and advertising, from putting together a mood board to sourcing items and putting it all together
Stylist Tweaks & Touches
- Find out the essentials you’ll need to have in your stylist kit (never go to a shoot without these!)
- Learn exactly what goes into making a product look just so good – it’s more than safety pins and gaffa tape
Create Your Own Styled Look
- Put everything you’ve learned so far into action. You’ll create your own styled look from start to finish. Decipher the brief, figure out what props you’ll need and put together the finish look for photographing.
- You’ll leave with an image that you can use to start your stylist portfolio
- Get practical advice and hands-on experience to make styling your career.
- Learn how a stylist works, whether you are into styling for fashion, food or interior design.
- Styling 101 - styling a shoot, sourcing props, working on any budget. And more!
- Learn options for training and other pathways you could take after completing this course.
- A certificate of Participation
- Bring yourself and a passion for styling!
- Once you are booked we will guide you through what you will need for later on in the workshop .
- You’ll create your own styled look from start to finish. Decipher the brief, figure out what props you’ll need and put together the finished look for photographing.
Aspiring styling professionals
We can't reserve your space until full payment is received.
We have class minimums and in the case we don’t make them you will be offered a refund or class transfer. If we need to cancel a class for any reason, we may do so at any time before the class is scheduled to begin. You will receive a full refund or you can choose to attend another class of the same value (or plus or minus any difference in class fee) within a 12 month period.
Due to our intimate class sizes unfortunately refunds are not available - so if you cannot make it please assign a friend to take your place.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. We accept on line bookings through the website
2. We cant reserve your space until full payment is received
3. If you can’t attend a class for any reason, refunds are not available due to our intimate class sizes - so please assign a friend to take your place
4. We have class minimums and in the case we don’t make them you will be offered a refund or class transfer
5. If we need to cancel a class for any reason, we may do so at any time before the class is scheduled to begin. You will receive a full refund or you can choose to attend another class of the same value (or plus or minus any difference in class fee) within a 12 month period.
6. By accepting a place at The Melbourne School Of Styling you agree that you will not replicate, reproduce or distribute any element of a class in part or in full. (however if you wish to post work shots of your work from the class on social media, you are more than welcome to do so.
7. By accepting a place at The Melbourne School Of Styling School, you understand that you will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement stating that you will not replicate, reproduce or distribute any element of a class in part or in full.